Can you stand in front of huge audience and express your self? Most of us have butterflies in our stomach with the very thought of doing this. Apart from few that have natural talent for connecting with other people or had some one who could actually teach them to communicate, few of us get the best results that could from the wonderful communication tools that we are given with most of us are in a dire need to improve public speaking skills.
We all have people with whom we have to work to get things done. Our ability to communicate with clients, customers, subordinates, peers, and superiors can enhance our effectiveness or sabotage us. Many times, our public speaking skills make the difference. Here are 10 ways to improve public speaking:
1. The first way to improve your public speaking is by developing your voice. A high whiney voice is not perceived to be one of authority. In fact, a high soft voice can make you sound like prey to an aggressive co-worker who is out to make his/her career at the expense of anyone else. Begin doing exercises to lower the pitch of your voice.
2. The second way to better public speaking is to talk slowly. People will perceive you as nervous and unsure of yourself if you talk fast. However, be careful not to slow down to the point where people begin to finish your sentences just to help you finish.
3. The third way better public speaking is to animate your voice. Avoid a monotone. Use dynamics. Your pitch should raise and lower. Your volume should be soft and loud. Listen to your local TV news anchor; take note.
4. Fourth way better public speaking is enunciating your words. Speak clearly. Do not mumble. If people are always saying,”huh?” to you, you are mumbling.
5. Fifth way better public speaking is by using appropriate volume. Use a volume that is appropriate for the setting. Speak more softly when you are alone and close. Speak louder when you are speaking to larger groups or across larger spaces.
6. Sixth way to better public speaking is by pronouncing every word correctly. People will judge your competency through your vocabulary. If you aren’t sure how to say a word, do not use it.
7. Seventh way to better public speaking is by using the right word. If you are not sure of the meaning of a word, do not use it. Start a program of learning a new word a day. Use it sometime in your conversations during the day
8. Eighth way better public speaking is by making eye contact with the person you are talking to.
9. Ninth way to better public speaking is by using gestures while you speak Make your whole body talk. Use smaller gestures for individuals and small groups. The gestures should get larger as the group that one is addressing increase in size.
10. Last but not the least, tenth way to better public speaking is by not sending mixed messages. Make your words, gestures, facial expressions, tone, and message match. Disciplining an employee while smiling sends a mixed message and, therefore, is ineffective. If you have to deliver a negative message, make your words, facial expressions and tone match the message.
Public speaking is an art, which can be developed by practice. You can draw attention of thousands of audience if have good public speaking skills. Not only while addressing large audience, you can make your talks a pleasure for everyone by improving your public speaking skills.
John Khu is an experience entrepreneur and internet marketer. He specializes in communication development and personal happiness.